As a writer, and an observer, I love learning about what makes people tick. It’s no surprise that Inside the Actor’s Studio is one of my favorite shows. When the daily prompt came up asking us to answer the interview questions the host James Lipton asks every guest, I couldn’t wait to settle in and think about what my answers would be. Here’s goes!
- What is your favorite word?
- What is your least favorite word?
- What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
- What turns you off?
- What is your favorite curse word?
- What sound or noise do you love?
- What sound or noise do you hate?
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
- What profession would you not like to do?
- If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
1. What is your favorite word?
Flibbertigibbet. (That is if I can only pick one!) Flibbertigibbet is one that describes my daughter and me both. We get lost in our minds, we ping-pong in our conversations from one subject to another. The word itself just feels happy and bouncy and it rolls off the tongue in a fun way.
2. What is your least favorite word?
Stupid. I think it’s worse and more damaging than any 4 letter word out there. It’s demeaning and hurtful and completely dismissive.
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
All kinds of things, but mostly stepping out. Stepping out of comfort zones and trying new things, even when it’s scary. Magic happens just on the other side of safe and familiar.
4. What turns you off?
Closed-mindedness, mean-spiritedness, bigotry. And most reality t.v.
5. What is your favorite curse word?
That depends on why I’m cursing. Some words have more impact based on the situation. If I stub my toe in the middle of the night, “Oh darn it all to heck!” just doesn’t cover it. It’s the silent scream-whisper “SHHHIIT!” that eases the pain. Not very flashy, but I like ‘Crap!’ a lot also.
6. What sound or noise do you love?
The sound of my kids and my husband laughing hysterically. It’s musical. And as corny as it sounds, when I hear my kids belly laugh it makes me smile to my toes! It is the sound of joy.
7. What sound or noise do you hate?
The alarm clock. It’s just evil. It’s almost as if my clocks takes joy in making the most annoying sound ever. I swear it is laughing in the silence between the beeps.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
Chef in a mom-and-pop type of cafe that specializes in local good-for-you deliciousness.
9. What profession would you not like to do?
Skyscraper window cleaner. Heights are not my thing. They will never be my thing. And I am more than okay with that.
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
“C’mon in! Over here – you’ll find all the answers you’ve been looking for. C.S. Lewis and George Carlin will be giving you the tour. You’ll be having your dance with Patrick Swayze and then you’ll watch some films with Roger Ebert.
Those are mine. What are your responses to the 10 questions?